Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Sitti's three wishes

DIRECTLINE By Boy Abunda (The Philippine Star)

She is the Philippines‘ undisputed Queen of Bossa Nova. But Sitti is still not quite comfortable with her title. She never desired to be a “queen,” because to her the real “queen” is Brazilian Astrud Gilberto, and no one can really compare with her music.

In the local music front it is Sitti who reigns supreme in the bossa nova genre. Sitti’s latest album Contagious is definitely one of the best. It contains 16 cuts including the classic Chega de Saudade and So Em Teus Braços from bossa nova great Antonio Carlos Jobim and A Certain Sadness, by Astrud.

1. If there is one song that best describes you, what is it and why?

Here’s To Life. I just recently discovered the lyrics to this and I really marveled at it, I was like “I finally found the song that perfectly captures me and how I am!” The song speaks about having no complaints and no regrets, about chasing dreams and just really living life fully, even if there are failures. I believe this is how I live my life right now… and how I intend to live it till I perish. I’m giving it all I’ve got, no holds barred and all pistons firing hahaha.

2. Are you a generous lover?

Yes, I believe I am….I am willing to sacrifice my happiness and feelings for my loved one to be happy. Ganung level hahaha.

3. If you have the chance to sing for one famous world figure, who would it be and why?

I would love to sing for the Dalai Lama….and hopefully get to imbibe some of his peaceful ways and wisdom.

4. How often do you lie?

Well, I tell a lot of white lies….generally about my whereabouts when I do not wish to divulge them hehehe.

5. What did you want to be as a child?

I wanted to be a nun! Hahaha.

6. What makes you cry?

When my feelings get hurt. When I see suffering.

7. Name 10 best albums (local and foreign) of all time?

Oh my… I always do not get to answer questions like these because I’m just really, really forgetful when it comes to titles, or when I’m asked on the spot. These are what I can think of for the moment… the Astrud Gilberto Silver Collection is a super beautiful one for me… also Great Original Pilipino Music by Ryan Cayabyab as performed by the San Miguel Chorale and Orchestra… Coldplay’s Viva La Vida is also spectacular for me… Regina Spektor’s Begin to Hope, Norah Jones’ Come Away With Me… Rico Blanco’s Your Universe, Alanis Morisette’s Jagged Little Pill… Bees, Things, Flowers album of Incognito… the Dawson’s Creek soundtrack… Insomnia and Other Lullabyes by Cynthia Alexander.

8. What is your ultimate dream as an entertainer?

To perform a full-length show with an orchestra and a percussions group creating magical music and getting a standing ovation after!

9. Three things you would like to do before you die?

Have my own foundation/school granting scholarships for the poor, do a collaboration with Mr. Gary V and Mr. Ryan C, and throw a huge party for my family and friends where we’ll just celebrate life, love and music!

10. What do you like most about your job? What don’t you like about it?

I love it when people tell me that my music helps ease their day… that’s what I most like about it. The travel perks are also tremendous. I’ve been blessed to go to so many other countries and places. There are a few instances when I’m tired or not really feeling like working but I have to because I have to honor my commitment. That’s what I don’t like about it.

11. How do you handle fame?

I honestly believe there’s not much to handle. People don’t go crazy when they see me naman hahaha.

12. If you have the power to solve all the problems in the country, what will you solve first?

Poverty. I believe it’s the root of all the other problems. If all Filipinos have the privilege of a decent meal, income and access to education, would there be crime at all?

13. What makes you laugh?

Silly jokes, silly thoughts — perhaps all silly-ness. Hahaha.

14. The person who makes you laugh?

I always have a great laugh with my best friend Marj. Even her laugh makes me laugh.

15. How do you say goodbye to a loved one?

Kiss, hug, and “I love you.”

16. If you had an extra P100-M, how will you spend it?

I would secure a business for my family’s future, buy another car, get a huge lot and have a relatively small house built in it, and put up my own foundation catering to quality education for poor kids and enterprising livelihood for poor parents.

17. What is your motto?

To give all of myself in all things I do, and to offer it all to Him.

18. How would you like to be remembered?

A simple, fun-loving girl with a voice that can put you to sleep, hahahaha.

19. What is your security blanket?

My family…our house. My music.

20. What do you do when you are lonely?

Jog or walk, and listen to music, or read a book.

21. If you were to come back as a person or thing, what do you think you would be?

Either a bird or a dog. I wanna fly free or be extremely loyal to someone.

22. Do you believe in heaven? If yes, how do you get there? If no, why?

Yes. We must do things pleasing to God so we can get there… to follow His commandments, to love and serve others as Jesus did… this is so hard to do though…

23. If you go to hell, who do you want to be with you?

My golly, no one hahaha. I wouldn’t want my loved ones or friends to suffer in there, too.

24. A genie is in front of you and you are to make three wishes. What would they be and why?

To have vocals as great as Sarah Vaughan’s and Dianne Reeves and Lea Salonga.

25. The most expensive item you bought for yourself?

A set of beautiful gold jewelry.

26. What is your favorite expression?

Nice or keri or ayuz!

27. How do you spoil yourself?

I spend a lot traveling and I don’t scrimp on that, hahaha.

28. What other talents would you like to have? Why?

I would like to have the ultimate songwriting skills ala Rico Blanco. Napakabilis at napakaganda gumawa ng kanta. I would also direly want to be blessed with insane culinary skills.

29. What is love?

Hahaha, this is ironic. I just posted this on Facebook the other day hahaha… love is always about giving and setting free. But ultimately for me, love is a choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment