Thursday, October 8, 2009

27 Questions With Eugene Domingo: Lights, Camera, Laughter!



By Ching M. Alano of Philippine Star

MANILA, Philippines - Not long after the killer typhoon Ondoy left, leaving behind a trail of untold destruction, of shattered hopes and battered dreams, people were lining up at the cinema. One movie where the queue seemed endless was Kimmy Dora (Kambal sa Kiyeme), a maiden venture of Spring Films put up by four friends with a dream: actor Piolo Pascual, director Joyce Bernal, cinematographer Shayne Sarte, businessman and talent manager Erickson Raymundo. A movie outfit is born. A star is also born: It’s the first starring role for the 38-year-old Eugene Domingo who started as a stage actress.

A low-budget movie (P25 million), Kimmy Dora, now in its third week in the theaters, has raked in a cool P80M (and counting). Piolo and company must be laughing all the way to the bank. Piolo was so happy she sent Eugene a very long text message.
Yes, Kimmy Dora is doctor-prescribed. In these dreary times when there’s not much to smile about, we all can use a dose of laughter or some comic relief to forget our troubles even just for one hour and 40 minutes. The hilarious, guaranteed-to-tickle-your-funny bone Kimmy Dora does not disappoint.

But Eugene confesses, “With all the tragedies brought about by Ondoy, I was ashamed to post pictures of Kimmy Dora on my Facebook. You might say we’re in a crisis, people are going hungry and dying and I’m still promoting my movie. I wanted to say maybe you’d like to relax and see a movie?”

FYI, in case you haven’t seen the movie yet, Eugene doubles as Kimmy (the mean, witty one) and Dora (the dim-witted but sweet one) with impeccable Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde flair. Imagine two Eugenes for the price of one movie!

Judging from the mile-long queues to Kimmy Dora in movie theaters where it is still showing, Eugene doesn’t really have to cajole us to go out and watch her movie. I just did, and the line was so long a lot of us missed 1/4 of the movie. But you know what? I never heard a movie audience laugh so hard, all at the same time as if on cue. And I don’t think I heard a stir or anyone ripping open a bag of chips as everyone seemed seriously glued to the screen savoring each comical moment.

And now, meet the real person behind reel characters Kimmy and Dora. Up close and quite personal, Eugene Domingo talks about life, love, and laughter, and her debut starrer Kimmy Dora.

We really love Mikky (the four-legged star of Kimmy Dora). Where did you get him?

Mikky is a local dog who was saved — he’s an aspin (asong Pinoy), as the politically correct term goes. In showbiz (TV or movies), we contact this person who trains animals; these popular dogs we use in fantasy movies like Wansapanataym. We call him Kuya Jun. His famous dog Saver is dead. Now, he’s found a substitute for Saver. I think he got Mikky from a far-flung province. It was in the bundocks where Mikky was rescued and then he was trained.

I and Mikky had some bonding time.


You love dogs, don’t you?

I’m really fond of dogs. I have three dogs — two shih tzus and a golden retriever named Shakespeare, but my golden retriever died two months ago during the shoot of Kimmy Dora. Shakespeare died in Baguio, I relocated him there because the skin of the golden retriever is better in a cool climate. I was planning to visit him after the shooting, but it was too late. I felt so bad, ang bigat-bigat ng pakiramdam ko. While I had a dog in the film, my own dog died. I haven’t really recovered. I feel sad when I see his pictures because I really wanted to see him.

I really love dogs so I didn’t have a hard time bonding with Mikky although it’s really hard to bond with an animal. Jun gave him that name so it would be easy to train him. He would give us time to bond, but my schedule with Mikky was erratic so everytime we would see each other, he wouldn’t recognize me. So we would have to go through the routine exercise again — “Come here, Mikky!” — and I’d give him treats. And Mikky gets startled easily. So, when you do a scene with him, you shouldn’t be rowdy. He gets nervous so everybody should be quiet on the set. Nobody should be impatient or hot-headed, everybody understands that we have to wait for the dog to be ready. It’s like having a baby on the set.


Wasn’t he so cute especially towards the end of the movie where he was bobbing his head like the dog figurines on the dashboard of your car?

Yes, in the end, he realized he was an artista already. Everybody treated him with respect, nobody disregarded him, and he’s there even in the poster. He’s included even in our special promos for our social networking.

Would you consider adopting an aspin?

I already have two dogs and I just live in a condo. But if my house is in an hacienda, like the land of Barry (the gorgeous farmer played by Zanjoe Marudo) in the movie, oh yes!

How did you feel when the twin role in Kimmy Dora was offered to you?

I was part of the conceptualization of the movie. When they offered me the solo starrer, they gave me the freedom to choose the writer and I suggested my best friend Chris Martinez who directed Cine Malaya’s 100. We’ve been friends since college, we’re of the same age. We go back to our UP Rep days, he’s directed me in commercials and plays. I thought if I were to finally do a solo starrer film, I wanted to be given a role that would utilize what I studied in college, which is theater arts at the University of the Philippines. It was supposed to be a four-year course, but it was like I took it in seven years.

How did you prepare for your role(s) in Kimmy Dora?

Director Joyce Bernal was very inspired. We had the look test for both Kimmy and Dora. We had to look even for the right wig. We got the clothes from all over — the tiangge, malls, etc. My creative team was really good. After Joyce Bernal and Chris Martinez, I owe to the team the character look of Kimmy and Dora. Because if they didn’t do the look of Kimmy and Dora right, the film would be a failure. Kimmy and Dora should look totally different even if they’re twins. Not just how they dress, but also how they accessorize.

What would you consider your most difficult scene in the movie?

When I was running through the fields and the rice paddies. Then I had to swim in the swamp.

Didn’t you have a double?

Yes, I had, but only to show me what to do. My stand-in, so I was facing somebody during confrontations between Kimmy and Dora, was Geraldine Malacaman, a very good stage actress. She played a very important role.

What was your reaction when you found out you’d have a kissing scene with showbiz heartthrob Dingdong Dantes?

I couldn’t stop laughing. Ang ganda ko naman! When Direk Joyce (Bernal) saw the rushes, she could only say, “Eugene, ang kapal ng mukha mo!”
Before the take, I brushed my teeth and chewed gum.


And what was Dingdong’s reaction when he found out he had a kissing scene with you?

He didn’t react violently naman. We were both laughing. This is a fun movie!

How did you start in show business?

I started getting exposed and acting before the camera in 1994. I did the movie Divided by 2 by Ishmael Bernal. I needed to cry in the movie, but I didn’t know how to cry. So Ishmael Bernal lighted a cigarette, took a puff, and blew the smoke right into my eyes. I cried!

When did you find out you can act?

When I was studying, I was really fond of subjects that had to do with the stage, drama. But when it came to math and science, I couldn’t hack it. Di kaya ng utak ko kahit anong gawin ko! Hindi talaga. It was a good thing my classmates in high school (name of school withheld upon Eugene’s request) let me copy during exams. Maybe they pitied me because even if I nearly failed in math and science, I always won for my class the first prize whenever I joined acting contests. They must have said, “Talaga sigurong di kaya ng utak nya ang math, bigyan mo na nga ng isang sagot.”

Did your parents stop you from studying acting?

My parents (Rey and Celia Domingo) didn’t understand what theater arts is. “Anong course yon?” It’s easier to say Mass Communications, it’s more popular. But definitely, they like where I am now.

Where did you grow up?

I grew up everywhere in Manila. My childhood was spent in Project 2, Project 3, Kamias, Quezon City talaga.

Kimmy Dora is your first big break. In real life, are you Kimmy or Dora?

When I’m about to have my period, I’m Kimmy. And for the rest of the month, I am Dora.

What do your parents say about your being famous?

My mother told me, “Magaling ka pala no?” My father said, “God bless you always. I’m proud to have a daughter like you.”

How are you taking all this fame?

Graciously.

Would you say you have no privacy anymore?

I do have privacy. I don’t really walk like I’m some big star. If somebody notices me, I acknowledge it, “Hello po, salamat po.” Then if they ask for a picture with me, “Okay, go!” That’s normally me. But if I do a mall show, medyo mag-aartista-artistahan ako.

How does a typical day go for you?

When I wake up, I drink water, I open my laptop, I surf, feed my dogs. Then magcha-chat na ko.
In the evening, if I’m not tired, I watch DVD, read a book.


Do you like eating out? Where do you go?

Yes, I love food. I go just anywhere, where the food is good. Basta masarap!

What do you splurge on?

I’m saving up for a trip abroad. I want to go back to New York in December.

What makes you laugh?

Stupidity does not make me laugh. What does is the initial reaction of people who are caught in the act. And just talking to my gay friends makes me laugh.

What makes you cry?

Excellence makes me cry. I’m overwhelmed, I get goose bumps all over when I see something that’s so good, sobrang husay, sobrang galing. My tears just flow.

Do you love as hard as you laugh?

I don’t have a love life eh. At wala akong makita. I don’t know if he’s still coming, but I also want to be surprised. I don’t want to look for him.

What is your ideal man?

Wala na rin. Pag nagkakaedad ka pala, nawawala na rin.
He’ll have to be somebody who’ll be brave enough to love me. I’m not easy to love. It’s like going to war (chuckles).


Do you have comedian idols?

I just had a shooting with Dolphy. Since I was a child, I’ve been watching Dolphy in his black and white films. In my heart, he’s the comedy king. He can act, sing, dance, do drama, do live show.
Finally, Direk Eric Quizon called me and asked me to play a special role in the movie entitled Juan. It’s a Dolphy movie and I instantly said, “Yes, yes, I want!” I was so excited to see him and be with him on the set. You know, all these years, I wasn’t wrong about my impression of him. The way I’ve always pictured him is so accurate. At his age, when the director says “Action!” para syang nakukuryente sa galing! When the camera focuses on him, you can see his smiling eyes, his mouth that he transforms into different shapes, his big nose. He gives it his all — he’s a very generous actor. And he remembers his lines, his timing is impeccable.


How would you like to be remembered by the movie industry?

We all know that when we’re gone, all that’s left is our creative work. I just watched a musicale, ang matitira lang ay children and the art. If ever I don’t have children, ang dami-dami kong art, I have so many films. One way or the other, I hope they’d be part of our tradition — if it’s Christmas, I have a Christmas movie; if it’s Holy Week, I have a lenten movie; if it’s summer, meron akong pang-summer. My movies will be shown again and again long after I’m gone. Just as I was inspired by Dolphy’s black-and-white films, I hope they will be inspired by my movies.

Source: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=510835&publicationSubCategoryId=86

No comments:

Post a Comment